Finding ways to keep students motivated over summer break is a challenge every teacher faces at the end of the year. To help, AFT Share My Lesson has hand-picked some great resources for you to use in your classroom as you wrap up the school year and look ahead.
The lesson plans and reading projects listed below are specifically designed to help motivate students to continue engaging with the material they have learned this year while they are enjoying their break.
- Try street photography
- Make your own collage from The Very Hungry Caterpillar
- Be inspired to catch a “wild thing” with Where the Wild Things Are
- Solve a crime using CSI math
- Explore social and emotional learning with The Outsiders
- Choose from six end-of-book activities for A Wrinkle in Time
- Design your own Matisse art
- Guide their reading assessment of books like Heroes, Animal Farm,
and The Handmaid’s Tale
- Engage with current events
You can find even more engaging summer activities and reading/journaling projects on the Share My Lesson website. There’s even a parents collection of material specifically designed to get parents involved with their children’s education!