Since 1992, the Union Plus Scholarship Program has awarded more than $3.4 million to students of union families. Over 2,200 union families have benefited from our commitment to higher education.
The Union Plus Scholarship Program is offered through the Union Plus Education Foundation, which is sponsored by Union Privilege. Your union membership entitles you to a family of Union Plus benefits. The Union Plus Education Foundation is funded in part by donations from Capital One N.A., the provider of theÂ Union Plus Credit Card. (You donotÂ need to be a Union Plus Credit Card holder to apply for this scholarship.)
Application Deadline: A complete application must be received on or before 12:00 p.m. (noon, Eastern Time) on Thursday, January 31, 2013. Applications or reference letters received after this deadline will not be considered.
Scholarship Award Amounts:Â Amounts range from $500 to $4,000. These one-time cash awards are for study beginning in the fall of 2013. Students may re-apply each year.
Award Date:Â The Scholarship Committee will determine recipients of scholarship awards by May 31, 2013. During the first two weeks of June 2013 award recipients will be individually notified by mail, and all applicants will be sent an email with notification that the award list is posted at UnionPlus.org/Scholarships. Please note that due to the volume of applications we cannot provide any information on the status of an application before award announcements are made.
- This is a competitive scholarship, and applicants are evaluated according to academic ability, social awareness, financial need and appreciation of labor. A GPA of 3.0 or higher is recommended.
- Current and retired members of unions participating in any Union Plus program, their spouses and their dependent children (as defined by IRS regulations). Grandchildren are not eligible unless a legal dependent (as defined by IRS regulations). At least one year of continuous union membership by the applicant, applicant’s spouse or parent (if applicant is a dependent). The one year membership minimum must be satisfied by May 31, 2013.
- Members of participating unions from the U.S., Puerto Rico, Guam and the U.S. Virgin Islands and Canada.
- The applicant must be accepted into a U.S. accredited college or university, community college, technical or trade school at the time the award is issued. Awards must be used for the 2013 – 2014 school year.
- Undergraduate and graduate students are eligible.
- Scholarship applications are judged by a committee of impartial post-secondary educators.
Click hereÂ for more information