Our Legislature is working under the cover of COVID, and it has not been particularly good for Public Education. Bills are being fast-tracked to the Senate and House floor for a final vote. Already, SB 84, the FRS retirement bill that puts new hires in the investment plan has been passed through the Senate in a final vote. A big thanks should be conveyed to Senator Ed Hooper (R-Pinellas) for putting up a fight against this bill in trying to hold it back. While there is currently no House companion, we all know anything can happen in the political whirlwind of Tallahassee.
PLEASE CONTACT OUR PASCO REPRESENTATIVES
AND TELL THEM TO LEAVE THE FRS ALONE!
Rep. Amber Mariano - 850-717-5036
Rep. Ardian Zika 850-717-5037
Rep. Randy Maggard 850-717-8038
We cannot stop contacting Legislators regarding bad bills. Two such bills, SB 78/HB 947 and SB 1014/HB 835 are set to be heard tomorrow in the Senate Rules Committee. The hearing is scheduled for TOMORROW, WEDNESDAY, APRIL 14, AT 9:30 AM.
- SB 78/HB 947 -
- These bills target union dues for all public union employees except first responders.
- Require annual renewal of membership
- Require District oversight
- SB 1014/HB 835 -
- Includes all aspects of SB 78 EXCEPT IT TARGETS EDUCATION UNIONS ONLY!
- Requires a density above 50% on Dec. 31
- Allows PERC to investigate and revoke certifications
- Disallows payroll deductions for member dues
PLEASE CONTACT THE SENATE RULES COMMITTEE AND TELL THEM TO VOTE “NO!” ON THIS BILL!